[T3] Generator ... Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 3 10:34:35 PDT 2012

On 3 Sep 2012 at 7:12, Max Welton wrote:

> This generator was a re-manufactured Bosch unit I put in last
> November. At the time, I also replaced the VR with one of the new
> solid-state units. Buss voltage has been very consistent up to
> yesterday.

I agree that's much less lifetime than you should get. Frankly, I've
never had one fail, but we have to consider that rebuilds are
generally made from someone else's rejects. I've got several good
used Type 3 generators. Until this year, I'd only ever sold one, and
that was in exchange for a Bosch rebuild that wasn't working out. So
far this year, I've sold 2.

That Bosch rebuild turned out to have a badly out of round
commutator, which is guaranteed to eat brushes rapidly. I turned it
properly and it's fine now. Put your finger on a brush when the
engine is running. If you feel it trying to vibrate up and down,
that's a problem

It's always possible for field windings or armatures to develop
shorts or opens after a long life. Those failures are unpredictable,
but they also tend to be few and far between.

I could rebuild one for you and exchange it for yours, if you like.
That entails some extra shipping cost, but at least you can be
assured that the work was done well.

A couple years ago we got rid of our Ford Taurus. That car had been
pretty reliable for ~140 kmiles, but it had gone thru 3 alternators
(US made) in that time (14 years.) It's original, new from Ford unit
lasted just over 3 years. I also just replaced a dead Bosch
alternator on a Mercedes. So don't get the idea that an alternator is
likely to be any more reliable than a generator. My experience is the
opposite, because generators don't have semiconductors inside them.

Look at your brushes. If the tops are below the brush holders, then
they may be worn out. In this time they should not be. Mine last
decades. Look at the ramp in the top of the brush. It should slope
down going away from the brush spring. They are often wrong (beetle
brushes) but can be easlily fixed with a file.

If you can push down on the brushes and make your problem go away,
you may just need to re-file that ramp.

Remove both wires from the generator. Put a voltmeter from D+ to
ground. With the engine running, ground the DF terminal. The voltage
should go way up, especially if you goose the throttle. If it
doesn't, then the generator is at fault.

Look at the top of the generator body. There is a line stamped there,
above the part #. That line should line up with the dot on the
generator strap. If it doesn't, the air cooling holes won't line up,
and the generator can burn up. A lot of these generators die simply
because they didn't get installed right.

Remember, the devil is in the details.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org