[T3] Generator ... Again

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 10:33:58 PDT 2012

I too have never had a generator die, but I guess most UK cars don't go much
over 100K miles before rust takes its toll. I've had a couple of voltage
regulators fail in around 300K miles of Type 3 driving.  The only
out-of-the-ordinary problem I've come across is damage to the field coil
wire where it wraps round the DF post internally.  Never allow that post to
turn when tightening the upper nut, or the connection inside can be broken.

I've had 3 alternators fail on water-cooled VWs after around 50K to 70K
miles.  On one a diode had failed, and on another one slip ring was severely
worn.  I don't need the extra power output, which probably explains why my
generators last so long.  I don't even have a radio - if you're on your own,
sing or think!  If you've pasengers, talk!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club