[T3] Generator ... Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 4 18:04:24 PDT 2012

On 4 Sep 2012 at 15:39, Max Welton wrote:

> --- On Mon, 9/3/12, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> > you're missing the rubber seal between the end of the generator and
> > the pulley housing. I have those if you need one.
>
> I have one, but it doesn't fit. It seems too big. Were there different sizes, maybe for the 6volt cars?
>
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/IMG_7481.jpg

The 12 V one is the big one. It's possible that yours has gotten oil
soaked and swelled up a bit, but I've not seen that happen before.
Not having that seal there would mean that some cooling air would get
sucked in from that area and blown thru the engine. That air might
tend to be both dirtier and hotter than air from the side louvers, so
it would be good to get it replaced.

Your old one might come back to size if you stored it somewhere warm
or hot for a few days.

> So what I may do is drop a fresh set of brushes in there just to
> see if the generator comes back to life. Then I would be interested
> in sending it to you for some TLC.

Sounds fair. Hope it comes back to life for you.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org