[T3] Crate engine pictures

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 17:17:11 PDT 2012

On 4 Sep 2012 at 21:38, Keith Park wrote:

> Just posted the crate engine pictures on the Samba, just search under my
> name, they should be there,

Nice photos. The engine case reminds me that early engines did not
have the 6 sealing rings around the 6 main bearing studs, between the
2 engine cases. For these early engines, VW recommended
countersinking the RHS case half and installing those O-rings. I can
probably find the specs somewhere if you want them.

Your right, no O rings and NO sealing nuts.  It wasn't leaking much around
them though... now days Loktite 565 seals those quite well.

Oh, and is that a piece of my foam on top of the oil cooler? It
doesn't look like the factory stuff, at least not like what I'm used
to seeing from '68-on. The late stuff disintegrates, so I replace it
with poly foam that I bought years ago. Maybe VW used better material
in the early years.

I put the foam on there years ago, when I got it there were mouse nests
under the tin  so I pulled the tin and cleaned everything up, hoping that
the engine was good and that was all it would need.

Later photos show a light blue '73 square. Do you have any of the
carpet and vinyl panels from that car? I'm looking for any dark blue
'73 such pieces for mine.

That was my first car, my 73!  I do have a few bits left that I thought I
mentioned in the past,  I think I have a couple interior panels, and I think
the back seat is still intact and out in the shed.  I might have a carpet
piece or 2, Id have to look.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org