[T3] Generator ... Again

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:58:49 PDT 2012

So that is the ramp! I.I.R.C. at lease one set I have has none.

Good to know when the brush gets warn. Now another thing to keep an eye on.

Thank you,
Adriel

Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

On 10 Sep 2012 at 18:43, Max Welton wrote:

> Brushes replaced, juice again flows. :-)
>
> New and old brushes:
>
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/IMG_7482.jpg

Yes, the old brushes were completely worn out. Note that the ramp on
the new brush slopes the wrong way; I can't be sure about the old
one.

> The commutator doesn't look so good.
>
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/IMG_7483.jpg

The brush wore to the point where its pigtail ran into the end of its
clearance slot, so it could no longer be forced against the
commutator. Once that happens, it will arc, and that eats up the
copper, as you see in your photo.

I can fix the commutator, correct the ramp on the brushes, and fix
anything else that becomes apparent when I take it apart and test it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org