[T3] Generator ... Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 18 21:35:50 PDT 2012

On 18 Sep 2012 at 23:10, Jim Adney wrote:

> On 3 Sep 2012 at 7:12, Max Welton wrote:
>
> > Well, here I go again. On my way home from work yesterday in the 68,
> > the charge light came one. It flickered lightly at first, then came on
> > more insistently. It still isn't fully "on", but she isn't charging. I
> > happened to be logging engine data (Megasquirt) and was able to see
> > the main buss voltage go from its usual 13.6 to ~12 volts. I had no
> > problem driving home on the battery (about 40 minutes).

> The telltale sign would be carbs on an engine that has a breather box
> with 2 plastic caps, rather than just 1.

Oops, I just re-read Max's post, and I see that he has a Megasquirt
system, not carbs. If this is on the original '68 engine, with one
plastic cap on the breather box, then this is not a problem. But if
his '68 car now has a later engine, with 2 plastic caps on the
breather box, this is something that should be fixed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org