[T3] Generator ... Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 19 09:57:00 PDT 2012

On 19 Sep 2012 at 8:48, Mike Fisher wrote:

> My generator light has been coming on, but if I press down on the New top
> brush it will go out for a while.  Georg gave me a small sand paper block
> to clean the commutator while it is running if necessary.  We are getting
> packed to take it for a 300 mile jaunt to Redding, CA to visit regardless!

Check down in the slot where the brush pigtail goes. If the pigtail
is bottoming out on the end of that slot, anything other than
replacing the brush is likely to end up with a damaged commutator.
This is not even a medium term solution.

Be VERY careful with sandpaper on a copper commutator. The wrong kind
of abrasive will leave bits of grit embedded in the copper, which
will then eat brushes like mad.

I THINK flint (or glass) paper is the bad kind, while emory is
acceptable. I'm not sure enough about this to be willing to use any
kind of abrasive on a commutator, but I've used a wire brush or a
file at times. (Don't do that live!)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org