[T3] Generator ... Again

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 18:21:19 PDT 2012

--- On Tue, 9/18/12, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> That's a pretty clean looking '68 engine. I don't know
> anything about
> the Megasquirt system, so I wouldn't mind a bit of an
> explanation.
> Where does it get its inputs and feedbacks?

Yeah, I really hate talking about my Megasquirt engine. :D

It's too bad I didn't have time to prepare some sort of talk while you guys were all in town. That could have been cool. Maybe not for purists.

I actually did up a set of web-pages about the project.

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/MST3/

For fuel-only control the basic inputs are a tach signal (taken from the (-) coil terminal), a 3-wire TPS, intake air temp (IAT) and some sort of "coolant" temp (CLT) to control warmup enrichment.

I can't imagine tuning a MS system without a wide-band 02 sensor and a laptop computer for the tuning software. I use an LC-1 (and controller) from Innovate Motorsports. If you like to tinker, you'll be in heaven with this stuff.

If you elect to control the ignition you also need some sort of trigger method. There is a guy making a toothed trigger-wheel for type-3s that attaches to the fan.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/