[T3] Fender Exchange

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 24 19:51:47 PDT 2012

I suspect that most people prefer the TS that were on the first Type
3 they owned. So my favorites are the bullets, like those on my '68.

On 24 Sep 2012 at 21:50, Dave Hall wrote:

> I should have said the bullets can be seen from the side if you're less than
> 50 and have 20/20 vision on a dark night without any light pollution!  They
> don't have separate running lights of course.

They have a separate filament for the running lights. That is
essentially the same thing as having a separate bulb. Starting in '68
that filament stayed on when the headlights turned on. On earlier
cars that filament goes off once you turn the headlights on. I think
6 V cars had bulbs with fewer candlepower, so those were dim, but if
the bulb is bright, I don't think it makes much difference how large
the lens is.

> How do the later large units connect up the small bulb in the side - is it a
> sidelight (running light) or a repeat flasher?

The large bulb is a dual filament, with the same candlepower as the
12 V bullets. The second bulb is much less bright, but it gets it's
power from the same circuit that runs the running light filament at
the front of that fixture.

Corrosion is a big problem for both front bulb bases in the late
cars. You can clean this off with a dental tool, but I advise putting
grease on the bulb bases and contacts any time you're in there, and
grease the lens attachment screw threads, too. That will save you a
LOT of trouble later.

Keeping water out of the late front housings is difficult, but it can
be done with some silicone caulk. The OE rubber tube is always
cracked and leads water right into the housing, so I strip it away
and seal the wires where they enter the rubber boot.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org