[T3] Engine bolted in

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 25 19:19:48 PDT 2012

On 25 Sep 2012 at 21:06, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I think both of the volt regulators from this car and the parts car
> are toast.  I've seen a lot of commits on this here about that so I'm a
> little concerned on what we can get for a replacement as far as anything
> that works good.  May just see what my FLAPS can get.

I recommend the Bosch 30-019. It's electronic now and seems to do a
good job. They will probably last longer than the original mechanical
VRs, unless you short something. Note that the top half of the body
is "hot" so don't let anything touch it once the battery is
connected.

> What does most of everybody do with the old diagnoses plug in the engine
> compartment on the late models?  We haven't hook up some of the wires to it
> yet since the transplant.  Do cut we it out?  If so what do you look out for
> on that?  Or should I just hook up the remaining wires and leave it along?

I would try to hook up what you can and leave it alone. If you try to
cut wires, there are some that need to be insulated and some that
need to be connected to each other, and figuring out the difference
can be a nightmare.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org