[T3] Generator ... Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 26 14:34:52 PDT 2012

On 26 Sep 2012 at 12:21, Mike Fisher wrote:

> I bought a pair of Type 3 Schunk do Brasil BX 165 25mm long brushes at
> Wolfgang International in Redding, CA Saturday.  They have a small ramp on
> both sides w/flat in the center.  Seems like they will do any job?

No, because the brush spring will hit the ramp closest to it when the
brush is new and long, and that ramp is in the wrong direction. And
it's only when the brush is new that the ramp direction makes any
difference.

The carbon brushes are extremely easy to file, so just file the ramp
the right way all the way across and they should be fine. They file
easily, but it makes a mess. Don't do this anywhere you expect to be
able to clean up nicely.

Looking at the collection of used brushes on my bench, I found one
pair that had a notch that was flat clear across, no slope in either
direction. I can file them in whichever direction is needed, probably
toward the pigtail for Type 3 use.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org