[T3] Generator ... again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 30 05:21:23 PDT 2012

On 30 Sep 2012 at 5:37, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Jim or anyone else have you see the article in the last Hot VWs MAG? About a company that is converting new type1 GEN for use on TYP3?
> PAGE 78 Hot VWs
> Also:
> http://sacoperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=GR16N
>
> Price ?

I rarely look at Hot VWs, there's just too much worthless stuff in
there that's only designed to separate you from your money.

If you look closely, you can see that they've made a new rear end
plate that doesn't have ventilation holes, which would have been
useful for us. It's not clear whether they've added the large hole on
the bottom for the cooling airflow that we need, but they probably
have. If that hole isn't there, then this is a totally worthless
part. The end plate they reused has ventilation holes that will be
counterproductive in Type 3s.

If we mounted it with the brush covers that they show, that would
probably work badly on a Type 3.

Finally, the Beetle generator puts the output terminals on the wrong
end for us. I don't know if our wiring harnesses would be long enough
to reach.

The price of $189 is probably pretty reasonable considering that it's
new and they had to have a part made, but I suspect that this is all
just an attempt to salvage something out of an overstock of Type 1
generators.

Frankly, I don't see any point to this. Aren't there still plenty of
good Type 3 generators around? If you're having problems with yours,
look around for a quality rebuild from someone you trust. For
national brands, look for an actual Bosch rebuilt generator (not a
Bosch generator rebuilt by someone else) or contact me. I may be able
to help.

There's nothing wrong with a rebuilt generator, as long as the job
was done well.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org