[T3] Generator ... again

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 05:53:26 PDT 2012

In a message dated 9/30/2012 8:21:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 30  Sep 2012 at 5:37, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Jim or anyone else have  you see the article in the last Hot VWs MAG?
About a company that is  converting new type1 GEN for use on TYP3?
> PAGE 78 Hot VWs
>  Also:
> http://sacoperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=GR16N
>
> Price ?

I rarely look at Hot VWs, there's just too much  worthless stuff in
there that's only designed to separate you from your  money.

The price of $189 is probably pretty reasonable considering that it's
new and they had to have a part made, but I suspect that this is all
just an attempt to salvage something out of an overstock of Type 1
generators.

Frankly, I don't see any point to this. Aren't there  still plenty of
good Type 3 generators around? If you're having problems  with yours,
look around for a quality rebuild from someone you trust. For
national brands, look for an actual Bosch rebuilt generator (not a
Bosch  generator rebuilt by someone else) or contact me. I may be able
to  help.

Also, IF you have seen the ad and write up from Chico (converting to  an
alternator), be advised that you'll have to adjust the mounting brackets, as
they set them up for the earlier (and smaller diameter) 6 volt fan housing,
and  not the later 12 volt housing. This is more of that Hot VWs not doing
their job  completely. And while the adjustment is minor, for 250+, you
really shouldn't  have to adjust anything.

Like Jim, I'd rather see them remove the guts of the bug generator, and put
 those parts into a t-3 generator. The biggest expense would be cutting the
 armature to fit the t-3 generator housing.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)