[T3] Headliner

Robert Rogers rcrogers1 at peoplepc.com
Sun Sep 30 16:04:17 PDT 2012

Having replaced the headliner in my ’67 Fastback and several Type 1s, here’s my advice:

1.	Place the headliner in the sun to warm up.
2.	Start at the front of the vehicle and begin to position the headliner using the bows.  The front and rear of the headliner will hang down.
3.	Glue the front of the headliner to the flange on the windshield.
4.	Pull from the rear and stretch the headliner as much as possible. Use considerable force while re-positioning the bows.
5.	Glue the headliner to the back window flange.
6.	Work the sides by pulling the material to the side and glue in place.

7.	Take your Time!

8.	Sometimes it is useful to use a hair dryer to heat the material to remove wrinkles by softening the material.
9.	Don’t get discouraged.  If it isn’t right, pull it loose and re-glue.
10.	The paper clips suggested are used to hold the material in-place around the window flanges.
11.	One neat trick is to glue a 1” wide piece of cardboard to the material at the door openings.  This will allow you to pull the material evenly.
12.	3M headliner adhesive is excellent.  However, I have successfully used common contact cement to satisfaction.  Use plenty of it.  Just be careful not to drip it—it’s hard to remove.  If you use contact cement, apply it to both the metal and the headliner and let it set for 3-5 minutes before attaching the material.
13.	If contact cement gets on your fingers, use a little lacquer thinner to remove it. Small amounts of cement that “ooze”  to the inside of the material can usually be removed by rubbing it with your fingers.