[T3] Headliner

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 30 21:05:47 PDT 2012

On 30 Sep 2012 at 13:03, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Well with the injector situation we will get some more from Jim but that
> will take a week or more to get them in.  So since the engine is in and we
> can't do much to it till the injectors are here I thought we would do some
> interior work.  That being said dose anybody have any headliner experience
> here?  I've heard a lot of people say this is a hard job.  Hopefully since
> the glass and seats have not been reinstalled back in yet it won't be too
> bad.  Is there anywhere on the net where I can get some installing
> directions?   I have watched a couple of videos on you tube on installing
> one on a Beetle.  Anything we need to do or look out for?

Yeah, it's a big job. It might actually take a week.

Screw the roof stiffners back into place. Don't forget the fiber pads
that go between the rails and the roof.

Glue the fiber roof pads in place, if you have them, using 3M spray
adhesive. Glue the felt pieces onto the pillars with the same stuff.

Put the headliner in place with all the bows and the little spring
"hangers." Decide whether it looks right or do you need to do
additional trimming of the "tunnels" that the bows run thru. Trim
carefully, if necessary. Adjust the bow positions until they all look
right.

Get a bucketfull of spring type clothes pins. pull the liner edges
out all the window openings and clothes pin them in place. Work your
way round and round the car, adjusting everything until the liner
looks right. Put a clothes pin every 2-3 inches. You'll have to make
minimal cuts to the liner at this time, just to get the edges to come
out the window holes. Careful, careful, careful.

It may be easier to get a good finish with the fastys. I couldn't get
a good finish at the rear corners of my square.

When you're satisfied with how it all looks inside, mark the excess
and cut it away, leaving about 3/8" that will wrap around to the
outside of each opening.

Working one opening at a time, remove the clothespins, apply glue to
the pinch weld, wrap the liner around the pinchweld again and reapply
the clothespins. Check and readjust as necessary, before the glue
drys.

Repeat at each opening.

Remove all the clothes pins after the glue has dried.

Carefully trim the excess that comes down each pillar, leaving enough
to go under the next layer. Wrap the extra vinyl around each pillar,
over the felt and over the ends of the liner. You should use the old
vinyl pieces as guides to show you what they should look like. Use
the clothes pins again. Trim and glue as you did with the liner.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org