[T3] New video

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 14 15:41:10 PDT 2012

On 14 Sep 2012 at 16:19, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I said this was the first video for the school year but it's not.  I forgot
> I done one a few weeks ago.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBwoz7-B44

You're gettin' close, Dennis, and it's lookin' good. I noticed a
couple more things in this video.

Enginewise, you're missing the black plastic cap that goes in the
center of the pulley, and the bolt under there looks like it's one
that came with an A/C kit. Those probably aren't really a big deal,
but you're also missing the "handle" that should stick out the back
of the fan housing, that bolts the housing to the breather stand.
That one's important, just because it's the most robust connection
holding the fan housing in place.

Both feed lines to the master cyl should lay against the "firewall",
to make sure they stay out of the way of the tie rods, over their
full range of motion (U/D, L/R.) The front line looks good, but the
rear one faces forward before it runs back to the rear. Those can
turn out to be important little details.

On the body, there's a bracket under the LF fender for the gas tank
overflow tank. That bracket and tank will just collect dirt and water
there and cause rust, and the rest of the piping has long ago plugged
with rust, so that system probably no longer works.

I think you bought the overflow hose and vent kits from me some time
ago. The vent kit makes that bracket superfluous, so I'd grind it off
and paint it over, to seal it.

Finally, there are a lot of places where they didn't put any color
coat. There really needs to be something there other than just
primer, unless this is a primer that seals and won't rust thru. Most
don't do that. Bob, and your body shop, may know better than me about
this.

When the fenders get back, I'd also like to see them painted inside
and out. The inside doesn't have to be pretty.

After all the work you and your students put into this, it would be a
shame to let those areas rust again right away.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org