[T3] correct timing

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 23 13:04:43 PDT 2013

On 23 Apr 2013 at 12:33, ken2k wrote:

> i finally got the distributor drive gear in correctly with 1 and 3 reversed.

What does this mean? When the dist is in right, #1 will be at about 7
o'clock and the others will follow CW in the firing order (1432.) If
you reverse anything, you'll get odd results, at best. Perhaps the
symptoms you describe.

Looking from the rear, the cylinders are numbered like this:

3=[]=1
4=[]=2

> however, it sounded terrible with the timing at 0 degrees with
> backfire( little burst of flame from the carb) so i tried to find the
> right spot by feel. it seems to run best with the strobe set at 15 but
> still doesnt feel just right. is there anyway to determine the best
> timing position??

The "right" timing is done with the dist in there correctly and the
SP wires in the correct places in the cap. Make sure the dist drive
dogs are ALL the way down into the slot in the drive gear. Then you
time with a timing light. If it still doesn't work, check the
compression and the valve adjustments.

I get the impression that you don't have things assembled correctly
yet.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org