[T3] Distributor drive gear

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 29 19:26:17 PDT 2013

On 29 Apr 2013 at 6:55, ken2k wrote:

> sorry but i cant get this right and it really bothers me. i can only
> get the drive gear in reversed ie small half of facing the rear at TDC
> #1 or correctly with the small half facing forward at 60 degrees at
> TDC #3. Believe me i have spent a lot of hours on this and skinned
> several knuckles. thanks to you and chris for your suggestions.

If I understand correctly, the 2 locations you're describing are
actually one and the same.

ISTR a detail that was mentioned a few years ago. It seems that early
dist drive gears were made with a flat near the bottom that allowed
them to only be inserted one way, but later drive gears were cut away
all the way around so they could be inserted in any orientation.
Seems to me that someone posted a photo of the 2 styles.

Your difficulty makes me wonder if perhaps you have one of the early
style drive gears. Have you taken yours all the way out in this
process of trying to get it right? If so, was there anything on the
side near the bottom that could be described as a "flat?"

Who posted that photo? Could you post the link to it again?
(It may have been Russ.....)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org