[T3] Lurching Hesitation Prob...solved again...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 17:19:34 PDT 2013

Back in December, after much work trying to solve lurching, hesitation problem.  On advice of a pro, I switched  the Voltage Regulator and problem disappeared.   (T-III 71 w/ 73 engine  FI)

BUT...four months later, three days ago, lurching reappeared out of the blue. Fine the day before...lurching when I drove off the next day.  No advance warning.   Checked timing etc, cleaned plugs, checked all the wires, etc...and then thought to find old info in Type III emails.  Bingo....there was the reminder about Voltage Regulator.   Tried one of my spares...lurching got worse.   Took one out of parts car (though sitting for ages) and it works like a champ...long city traffic test run too.

Question is:   Is there something besides just old-age breakdown that can cause a Voltage Regulator to go bad?   Is this just a coincidence?  Should I get a Brand New one just to be safe?
   And, I have about three more spares?   Any way to test them outside of the car?...or do I have to install to test?