[T3] Dizzy drive gear...

FE Meek ftalker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 15:21:46 PDT 2013

Hi there
It can be done...but be aware of the components involved.  There should be at least one, if not more washer/shims under the upper shaft flange.  If these do not come out with the distributor drive, they are either missing originally or missing currently, having fallen into the case...not good either way but the latter is more immediately concerning.  There is also the problem of removing the drive initially.  If you have the proper tool, things are better, but still this will not prevent the shim(s) from going south.  The safest solution is to do this on an engine stand, minus most of the oil, (let it drain for a day or more), and turn the engine so the case drive hole is upside down...and still be ready with a magnet or two when you pull out the shaft.
Incidentally, my T-3 dark side engine has three or four shims to be within end play spec so I took the time to get it right when I laid in the crank.  These really cannot be moved.
I recently did this on a 356 Porsche engine and while there is only one shim called for here, it was missing.  Fortunately, (compared to the two piece VW case), Porsche cases are three pieces.  Still not fun, but better than a split case for a ten cent part.  In my instance, the washer/shim may or may not have been installed, (engine hasn't been run and the PO is dead), but as the cam gear is in this space, I have no choice but to take the third piece off and check.  The drive gear was inexplicably off by +/-60*.  I don't understand this at all.  180* off I understand...sort of.
Good luck.
Best regards,
FE Meek
Sent from my iPad