[T3] Timing- Again

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 28 06:10:51 PDT 2013

On 28 Apr 2013 at 5:23, ken2k wrote:

> ok, i started over and i think i have the distributor drive gear in
> properly, at what i believe is O degrees ie the way its supposed to
> be. the marks on my fan look like this(remember this is a brazilian
> case with no engine number)       I        I         I  I

> i believe O degrees is the one underlined. If so, how do i determine
> the correct timing mark for my engine??

The origin of the case doesn't matter.

Your underlining doesn't come thru in the text version, but this is a
late ('72-3) pulley where the marks stand for -5, 0, 5, 7.5 deg. So
the 2nd mark from the left is the zero mark. Time to the zero mark
for all engines other than '72. Timing instructions for '72 engines,
with both vacuum advance and retard, are very different and are in
the Bentley manual.

This is only TDC for #1 when both #1 valves are closed when that mark
is at the top. Otherwise, this is TDC for #3. I suspect you need to
correct this, because this would explain why you've got #1 & 3
switched. (I assume you mean that 2 & 4 are also swapped, which means
that you've got the SP wires rotated 180 deg to compensate for the
fact that the drive gear is off by 180.)

Getting the pulley timing marks right is only half the battle because
this is a 4 cycle engine, so those marks come up twice for every
firing of #1. (In other words, theres one "correct" appearance and
then one "incorrect" appearance of the timing marks, or 2 rotations
of the crank for each time the engine comes to the right condition
for firing #1.) The only way to make sure you're at the "right" TDC
is to look at the #1 valves.

BTW, to keep yourself out of trouble, always rotate the engine
backwards if you're doing this with the distributor out of the case.
Otherwise, the rotation of the crank can push the drive gear upwards
and then sideways, where it can jam into the case and not be
removable without splitting the case. BTDT  ;-p

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org