[T3] Proper draining of water and doors?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Aug 3 17:31:47 PDT 2013

They are literally slits, formed by a slight bulge in the inner pressing of
the door.  The outer skin is folded around the inner, but at the corners
there's a small gap between the skins.

Jim is right in saying that you should go inside to clean the door bottoms
properly, and put a bit of anti-rust to prevent things getting bad.  It's
quiet a bit of work, so if you can't spare the time at the moment, clearing
the slits will help stop the water damaging the door cards.  It also lets
you see if someone else has disturbed the plastic membrane, so it's good
preventive maintenance.

If water also collects on the sill/rocker, you will find there are drain
hiles on the top once you remove the cover.  There are also weep holes on
the bottom flange to stop the sill filling up.  It's not a bad idea to get
some anti-rust treatment in there too if cars where you are tend to get rust
problems.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club