[T3] oo oo that smell

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 4 15:34:10 PDT 2013

On 4 Aug 2013 at 9:41, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Your outer generator pulley half has broken. This is a fairly common
> problem when you have a voltage regulator which is sticking and just
> gets ignored. (Have you been hearing clicking sounds from under the
> back seat while driving?)
>
> Gee Wiz - I never noticed any clicking and my VR was replaced 2 years ago.
> It's the new
> Bosch Black kind. I have an extra brand new one that I keep handy as well.

Do you play your radio loud? That can keep you from noticing lots of
things.

I've never seen a black Bosch VR. All the black ones I've seen were
aftermarket and lasted only a year or so, so this is consistent with
your experience.

> remove the rear crank bolt. To do this, you will need to remove one spark
> plug
> and turn the crank to where it's 180 deg past TDC for that cylinder,
> stuff a length of rope in there, leaving the end sticking out so you
> can retrieve it. Then untorque that crank bolt. To put it back
> together, you'll have to remove the rope, turn the crank to where
> it's 180 before TDC, reinsert the rope and retorque the bolt.
>
> are you saying to insert a rope into the spark plug hole? Why for shall I
> do this?

Because when you try to turn the bolt, you'll find that the clutch
will slip and you won't be able to undo the bolt. You'll need to do
it again when you put the bolt back together again. Putting a length
of rope in the combustion chamber keeps the crank from turning, but
you don't want to do this when it might press against an open valve.
That's why I specified the rotational position.

> how shall I know I'm 180 degrees past tdc for that cylinder? I
> determine tdc by the valve geometry on the opposite cylinder (if you
> remember our previous discussions) so I'm not clear on how to determine
> 180 past or before tdc.

I should have said ~180 crank degrees. Nothing exact required. Watch
the dist rotor and go for ~90 dist degrees.

> Why not just pull the fan off and tighten the bolts under and put the fan
> back on?

Because you have to take that bolt off before you can get the pulley
and fan off.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org