[T3] flaps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 16 10:13:21 PDT 2013

On 16 Aug 2013 at 9:23, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> How can I tell if my flaps aren't opening. I'm noticing that my oil light
> is coming on after a 10 minute drive (10 miles)
> and the engine smells hot when I shut it off.

If the light is coming on while your driving along, that's bad. If it
only comes on when you come to a stop and the engine is idling,
that's not particularly troubling.

Were you the guy who just had his fan housing off? If so, are you
sure you got the flap control pushrod put back on securely? There
should also be a spring that pulls the flaps open if one of the
pushrods comes loose; was that there?

Otherwise, there's no really easy way to tell. You can look under the
right side of the engine and see if the thermostat is expanding when
hot and contracting when cold. Then you can remove the air cleaner
and pull out the double spark plug holder that's just in front of the
right side of the fan housing. You may be able to see, or feel with a
wire, thru that hole, where the flap is.

One of the things I ALWAYS do when I have one of these engines apart
is to saw a shallow kerf in the right end of the flap rod. Saw it
parallel to the flaps, and you'll always be able to see it and tell
where the flaps are. You can also use this as a slot for a
screwdriver, to check whether the shaft is free or not. I've always
felt that this is something that VW should have done at the factory.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org