[T3] Huf Ignition Key & Cylinder

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 18 08:00:31 PDT 2013

On 17 Aug 2013 at 16:27, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Is the interlock mechanical (ala:  inside the cylinder) ?

Yes

> Hard to repair?

Yes

> Are those two (looks like) spin swaged(sp?) buttons on the back of the
> cylinder, what holds everything together?

Yes

> Re:  People who can cut a replacement key:
> Are these NOS, OE  Huf blanks with the VW logo?
> Do you know of a source?  Somebody on The List?

There are 2 people that I know of. One is Gabriel Garcia
(vwschlussel at sbcglobal.net) and the other one is Mark at
aircooledkey.com. I have used the first one several times and have
been extremely happy with his work. Other people here have used Mark
and been just as happy.

Gabriel Garcia will work from just the key code (something like
62K075 for your '69) but Mark seems to want the code AND a photo of a
key.

Both have stocks of both OE VW logo and generic key blanks. Whether
either have Huf blanks I don't know. Locks and keys were provided by
several venders to VW. Huf was one and AKS was another. They are
equally original.

Your old key and cylinder, if they match each other but not the key
code of your car, might be of value to one of them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org