[T3] Tie Rod Removal...

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Aug 23 06:10:13 PDT 2013

On 22 Aug 2013 at 23:10, Keith Park wrote:

> Well, if the boot is good you don't want to destroy it... all the
> replacement boots Ive bought in the past 10 years didn't last 2 on the
> car so saving good originals is worth it.

I tried to get replacement boots from VW for many years, but they always
supplied the earlier boot, for the ends with the smaller tapers. I never
even tried those, as it was clear they wouldn't stretch that far and still
survive.

I still have a few of the early (-66, I think) boots if anyone needs some.

> I just put the nut on upside down till the threads are covered and hit
> The stem with the air chisel (with pointed bit) and they pop right off.

That works, but requires removing the gas tank. The little pullers are way
too cheap, quick, and simple for me to ever want a different solution.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

I was able to get an air chisel on these tie rods that are in discussion
here without removing the tank.  You do need a longer flat punch then get in
through the wheel weal with the wheel off to get in there.  I had it on a
lift as well which made it a little easier.

Dennis Stiefel

72 Fastback MT FI

Rainsville, AL