[T3] Fuel pressure leak

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 25 17:51:44 PDT 2013

On 25 Aug 2013 at 14:51, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Why is it that the line does not stay pressurized at 28 unless the pump is
> running?  Even if it is normal, it just bugs me.  Is it some leak in the
> pressure regulator?  A leak in the fuel pump check valve?  Possibly both?

There's a sort of check valve built into the pump, that has a spring
and a valve. The spring constant and the valve diameter determine
what the system will bleed down to when the pump is off. Bleeding
down is normal and is called out in the Bosch and VW service
literature.

> I like this solution and will probably contact you soon so that I can get
> set up to prime the pump before starting on occasions like this.  I had to
> turn the key on and off probably ten times on Friday before the bubbles
> stopped.

The fuel priming kit saves all the wear and tear on the key cylinder,
ignition switch, battery, and starter. It's a cheap and easy fix.

Get that overflow hose kit installed, otherwise you're going to have
some very expensive problems.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org