[T3] Horn

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 09:09:20 PDT 2013

I'm confused.

I acquired a VW horn in a box of parts.  After disassembling, cleaning
& de-rusting the steel parts of the horn, I'm ready to re-assemble.

Around the back of the Bakelite flange where there are eight, small
bolts/nuts, which hold the housing to the diaphragm and front plate
there are a variety of "cast in" numbers/letters/symbols.

On the very back of the Bakelite near the two spade connectors and
mounting bracket, it says:
"Hella, tief, B31 VW1 6V"

Around six of the segments of the flange of the Bakelite, in between
the bolt holes, it says:
1)  VW (symbol),
2)  (blank)
3)  A 7132,
4)  6-Volt - AGREE TP -AR 343,
5)  tief IGM1021 KA,
6)  (blank)
7)  hoch IGM 0817 KA,
8)  12-Volt - AGREE TP-AR 488

Two of the segments are blank ... have no markings.

What confuses me is in one segment it says 6-Volt; in another segment
it says 12-Volt

Questions:

A)  How do I accurately identify if the horn is a 6-volt or 12-volt horn?
B)  If I energize the two spade connectors with 6-volts and it doesn't
make a "noise", do I try energizing it with 12-volts?
C)  Does the metal Mounting Arm on the back of the horn, need to be
grounded?  Or do the two spade connectors (which are NOT marked + or
-) make a difference for polarity?

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)