[T3] Bowden tube boot differences

Soren Jacobsen snj at pobox.com
Fri Aug 9 10:08:25 PDT 2013

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it looks to me like VW switched, in 1968, from an effective bowden tube boot to a nearly worthless one.  I'm referring to the boot that goes on the rearward (rear is rear) tip of the bowden tube where the clutch cable exits.

Here's the 1968-on style: http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/3651357.jpg
Here's the earlier style: http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/o42db.t5sus/v/vspfiles/photos/VWC-111-721-365-3.jpg

The later style has an opening much larger than the diameter of the clutch cable, so there'll be a considerable gap between the boot and the cable.

How are those later style boots supposed to be installed?  That is, which direction do they go?  Were there other parts/changes involved that create a nice seal of the area?  If not, I'm having a hard time imagining why they'd even bother with that later boot.

Soren