[T3] Rear bearings ?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 11:40:22 PDT 2013

Re/  71 Std FI Sqbk

 While driving, out of the blue came a fairly loudish scraping-grinding noise, from a rear wheel area.  It didn't change when braking.   Coming home later, the noise wasn't there...but it returned the next day. It wasn't as loud as when it first started.

I jacked up the car and just spun the wheel, forward and backward. There was no noise then.

I took off the brake drum and found nothing odd in the brakes. All intact.  And there's no in and out wobble play.

So, next step will be to check the bearings, but I still haven't managed to find or borrow a big enough socket to get the big nut off...and I'd rather not do the old hammer and dull chisel method if I can avoid it.

Question:  Does this sound like bearing trouble?  What other possibilities?  And, if it's the bearing, does one really need the special puller to get the bearing out? (as shown in the Bentley)
And...what about driving it with a bad bearing...IF it's that?  (In case I have to resort to taking it into a shop..)