[T3] Horn

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 3 13:26:30 PDT 2013

On 3 Aug 2013 at 11:09, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> On the very back of the Bakelite near the two spade connectors and
> mounting bracket, it says:
> "Hella, tief, B31 VW1 6V"
>
> Around six of the segments of the flange of the Bakelite, in between
> the bolt holes, it says:
> 1)  VW (symbol),
> 2)  (blank)
> 3)  A 7132,
> 4)  6-Volt - AGREE TP -AR 343,
> 5)  tief IGM1021 KA,
> 6)  (blank)
> 7)  hoch IGM 0817 KA,
> 8)  12-Volt - AGREE TP-AR 488
>
> Two of the segments are blank ... have no markings.

I believe what you have is a 6 V horn. The plastic back was probably
generic, made to work for whatever guts Hella stuffed into it. I
suspect that the markings on the very back were stamped in later, so
they indicate what you actually have: a low tone, 6 V horn.

I'd go ahead and try it on 6 V (actually 7 V.) If it doesn't work,
you may need to dig open the adjusting screw and tweak it. Adjust for
minimum current draw while still working reliably.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org