[T3] Rear Bearings ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 15 18:03:33 PDT 2013

On 15 Aug 2013 at 16:35, J. Jonik wrote:

> N.B.  Right side axle shaft is about an inch shorter than the one on the left. I wasted good grease not knowing this ahead of time.

The MT axle shafts are the same length, but AT L/R shafts are
different lengths. So, is this car AT? If not, you may have one AT
shaft in there, which might explain the noise. Check the rear of the
Bentley tranny chapters for the 3 different lengths of Type 3 axle
shafts.

> N.B. II:  Good idea to lightly hammer tap the 12 point star wrench
> into the holes to remove the shaft before trying to crank them off.
> Same thing when tightening them up.

I clean up the socket holes with a small screwdriver first, then tap
the driver in. They need to seat ALL the way in to avoid stripping
the socket in the bolt head.

> I thought that the wheel bearing was ok because spinning the tire
> caused no sound. BUT...can there be bearing troubles that are only
> evident when the thing is On the Ground, under weight?

Yes, putting load on a bearing will make any problems more evident.

> I'll try to get the 36 mm nut off the axle end...even if I have to use
> a sledge hammer and a dull chisel...to see the bearing,
> tomorrow....and take out the bearing.  Would a bad bearing LOOK bad
> somehow?

Yes, it should show signs of loose, broken metal bits.

> I have spare rear wheel bearings, kept in nice zip-lock bags. I'll
> replace the current one no matter what.
>
> Any other thoughts about this? There's only so many places where such a squawk can originate.
>
> PS:  Transmission fluid is at, and has been at proper level...just at slight drip bottom of filler plug hole.

If this is an AT, then you have 2 fluids to check, the ATF via the
dipstick (with the engine running) and the final drive gear oil via
the filler plug hole on the right side.

The MT filler hole is on the left side.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org