[T3] I'M BACK !

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Dec 3 20:04:14 PST 2013

One thing to keep in mind is that bone stock, the T4 doesn't have much if
any more HP than the T3, not sure what the Vanagons got in the 2L but I
think it was only around 85HP.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"
65 Notchback "El Baja Rojo"
65 Squareback "Eggcrate"
87 golf "Winterat"
93 RX7 "Redstur"

Biggest reason I was thinking about it at the time was it was cheap he was
going to sale the whole thing to me for a few hundred $$$.  You are probably
right on the 85 HP. I think when I turned wrenches at the VW dealer back in
late 87 early 88 the old  wasserboxer was putting about 95HP so that sounds
about right. However all horsepower ratings 1972 and later we taken from the
wheels and not the crankshaft. So when the horsepower ratings dropped that
year it was not only because they dropped the compression a little but the
amount of power the dyno reads at the wheels is less than the power at the
crank. That all being said I think the rating of HP for a 72 like mine is in
the low 50s from the wheels.  If I'm correct that's around a 30hp bump in
power. So not bad.

Dennis