[T3] I'M BACK !

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Dec 4 09:27:19 PST 2013

On 4 Dec 2013 at 16:03, Dave Hall wrote:

> The VW figure for the Type 3 1600cc twin carb and FI was given as 54
> PS DIN or 65 HP SAE (PS is the German abbreviation for horsepower).

Dave's memory is the same as mine, but I just pulled out someType 3 Owner's
manuals:

'73
52 hp at 4000 rpm, SAE net
77.0 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm, SAE net

'72
no hp rating listed
Max torque 86.8 ft-lbs at 2800 rpm, SAE

'70
65 hp at 4600 rpm, SAE
86.8 ft-lbs at 2800 rpm, SAE

Note the '73 is measured as "SAE net" while the earlier years are simply
"SAE." I'd never noticed this before and didn't realize that the measurement
change occurred this early. Thanks to Dennis for pointing this out.

Those are the only Owner's manuals I have right here next to the computer.
Those of you with '72s might want to check your manuals to see if the hp
rating managed to get into one of the other printings.

I didn't find hp ratings in my "Service Without Guesswork."

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

I'll look at mine Jim as soon as they get her out of the body shop doing the
quarter.  Like I said some of the info I got was from an old Chilton shop
manual that covers a lot of different cars from that era mostly American
cars. I think DIN is what most everybody has been using since 72 here in the
US. Not sure about the manuals on your side of pond Dave. I wish we had a
dyno  here at the school like some of the bigger automotive programs have.
It would be interesting since I have a fresh stock engine to see what the HP
really is.

Dennis