[T3] Items to keep on hand in a 72 FI Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 11 22:10:58 PST 2013

On 11 Dec 2013 at 21:07, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Thanks Mike.  I am hoping that the most common issue I would suffer would
> be a flat, so I'm trying to secure a spare so that I can change a tire on
> my own if needed.

I think that's a very real possibility. Most everything else is
pretty trouble free, as long as you do normal regular maintenance.
For my cars, I've bought cheap Sears scissors jacks to use instead of
the OE ones. Look your car over to make sure you understand where the
good jack points are: front axle beam, rear subframe side plates,
never the OE jack points, even on perfect ground.

> Speaking of that, does anybody have a spare rim/tire in the San Jose area
> or know of somebody who could sandblast my old rim?

Tire shops can often take a wire wheel to a rusty wheel to get a good
seal there. That's a reasonable approach if you just want a
dependable spare.

I have sandblasted, painted OG Type 3 wheels here, but shipping would
be expensive. They are beautiful if someone wants the real thing, and
I have correct ones for any 4-bolt year. AND, I finally found some
good shipping boxes.

I usually have a quart of oil, but have seldom needed it, and a
generator belt is a nice thing to have, but you'll need tools to
replace one. A nice thing about our cars is that you can drive a
couple hours without a generator, as long as your battery is good and
you're not using any lights or accessories.

For driving within a couple hundred miles I really don't carry much
in the way of spares, but, as others will confirm, I come well
stocked with parts and tools on Invasion caravans. But that's not
just for me.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org