[T3] Early vs Late Automatic

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 12 08:41:19 PST 2013

On 12 Dec 2013 at 7:51, Adam Douglass wrote:

> Bob has it right; I lost the cv shaft bolts and the cv killed the
> differential. On the bright side of things,I have a parts unit.

Okay, I remember. This came up a few days ago.

Those bolts take a special XZN driver, which is more often called an
8 mm spline driver. Make sure to clean out the bolt holes and then
use a torque wrench on those bolts next time.

> For those wondering, this is going into a 1970 square.

In that case, you're hoping to find another '70-71 version. That
would come without the 5-bolt output flanges and with the same VM as
on your current AT. Take a good look at your VM before you go, so
you'll know what to look for, and look at the case surrounding your
output shafts so you can see what it looks like.

Your seller probably has other parts that go with the AT, like the
starter, TC, and the unique Type 3 AT axle shafts. Get them all while
you're there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org