[T3] Early vs Late Automatic

Adam Douglass one4house at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 12:49:23 PST 2013

As far as my swap goes, I have all of the seals sitting in the garage waiting to be put in. I was going to pull my broken unit, before it broke, to reseal it for a winter project. This mishap just pushed my had from wanting to do it to having to do it.

I just got a lead on another automatic transmission. I should know more about it this evening/early tomorrow. I am getting under the gun to make a decision because Saturday was my day to go pick one up. We will see what works out.

Anyone else looking for a used auto unit? I may have a lead on one soon.

As I get the transmissions apart to reseal, I am sure I will be dropping by with questions. I think I am good to tackle what I have so far......

Somewhere along the line I ran across this nugget of information....

"The Type 3 automatic is a very solid transmission. They are known to go for over 100k miles with no problems. The worst problem can be the torque converter seal leaking, and there is a trick to fixing that: Put 2 seals in it."

Does anyone recommend for or against this? Is this SOP for replacing the torque converter seal? Or is it just a wive's tale?

Wish me luck,

Adam

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:55 AM, Mike Fisher <fisherfarms at gmail.com> wrote:

They are all called 003 in the parts books.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2013 at 7:41, Mike Fisher wrote:
>
> > The 003 out of buses,411,412  is similar, but has higher geared ring &
> > pinions for more torque & Less top speed!
>
> The Type 3 is the 003. Aren't the others different?
>
> --

Eugene, Oregon

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mr_bojangles500/