[T3] WTB Type 3 Automatic Transmission

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 16 17:17:08 PST 2013

On 16 Dec 2013 at 16:40, Adam Douglass wrote:

> As bent as the governor is, I'm afraid of what it did beyond where I
> can see. I just think the diff is trashed.

I agree that this part can't be fixed. I don't see any problem with
just replacing the final drive part if that's what you can find, but
it sounds like you understand that the governor is matched to the
valve body. I believe that you can transfer certain parts, like the
springs and weights, from the old governor to a new governor and
still preserve this match.

I think, however, that replacing the whole AT is the easier solution,
largely because if you find a good final drive there will probably be
a good, matching AT bolted to it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org