[T3] WTB Type 3 Automatic Transmission

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 17 13:00:06 PST 2013

On 17 Dec 2013 at 12:48, Adam Douglass wrote:

> There was some confusion when it came to the differential that I
> found. It was actually a bus differential. Are they swappable? They
> look very similar. The only thing I can see different is the bracket
> that looks broken.
>
> What are we looking at here? Is this something I can use? I know the
> gearing would be different. Would I be able to use my cv shafts and
> such?

Buses used larger CV joints, so your old joints won't fit on the
output flanges. I have no idea if you could fit your old output
flanges onto that box, or if your old shaft splines would fit in a
Bus CV joint.

Whether the lengths were right would depend on the width of the box
and how centered it is.

There could also be differences in the TC.

This is just one more of those times when we really need Russ....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org