[T3] WTB Type 3 Automatic Transmission

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 17 12:43:03 PST 2013

On 17 Dec 2013 at 9:24, Mike Fisher wrote:

> Yes and it seemed to shift normally/fine.

I don't claim to understand how the whole AT system works, but I
suspect that there's a range over which the governor works. It's
likely that most governors fall somewhere in the middle of this
range. (Think of a normal bell curve distribution.)

If you happen to find a couple of ATs that are both somewhere near
the middle of this distribution, which is likely, then everything
should be fine. But there's always the possibility that you'll get 2
that are at opposite ends of the distribution, and that's likely to
be less fine. I have no idea how that "less fine" might seem.

If possible, I would transfer the weight, piston, and spring (items
4, 10, & 11 in the Bentley) from the old governor to the new one. I
think the balance weight should stay with the governor body that it
came with.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org