[T3] Attaching rear seat belts

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 15:44:30 PST 2013

Sorry, that's not true Jim.  Where rear seat-belt mountings are fitted, they
are quite separate from the OE body-to-pan bolts.  The mountings are
significantly larger bolts than the pan uses - 7/16"-20 UNF bolts, (just
checked), rather than M8 like the body-bolts.  ISTR (but not always
correctly!) some of the fitting kits I've found have bolt heads around 18mm
across on those ('proper 7/16" bolts?), but others have 17mm metric heads -
confusing until I realised!  However the thread is an international
standard.  I'm not sure how they could change it now without making it clear
that the thread is different.  Obviously the head size can be changed, as
seems to have happened over here.

The holes are plugged with plastic screws with a cross-slot (white for the
top mountings and black for the lower ones), and a rubber sealing washer,
but they will probably be hard to get out intact as they tend to get rusted
in over the years.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club