[T3] Fuel filler hose?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 25 14:39:39 PST 2013

On 24 Dec 2013 at 10:54, Max Welton wrote:

> I need one for my 68. I am no longer able to get this original to seal and it leaks.
>
> http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/chassis/IMG_7976.jpg

>From your photo I don't think that's an original. It doesn't look
right, at ALL. Is the inlet to your '68 gas tank oval (early) or
round (late)? The steel gas filler pipe should also come all the way
into the trunk, yet I can't see any sign of it. I wonder if someone
cut it off and installed this piece of generic hose. There should be
no sign of the hose inside the fender well.

It's possible that you have an early '68 with the oval inlet. Those
never sealed well, so someone may have replaced the tank and cut off
the end of the oval inlet pipe to make a suitable fix. Completing the
conversion to the late style round connections would be the
reasonable thing to do.

The OE hose won't seal by itself. You need the hose and the 2 sealing
rings (wide rubber bands) what go over the seal areas at each end.
These were also used on beetles, so they should still be available
from VW. I can find the part #s when I get back home.

The OE parts are very hard to install correctly. The sealing rings
tend to wrinkle and slide out of position, but it CAN be done. It's
worth the effort, because it works flawlessly once done correctly. In
your case, I'm guessing that you are also going to need a replacement
inlet pipe, to replace yours that was cut off.

I probably have the hose and inlet pipe, and I MAY have the sealing
rings if you can't get them from VW.

And Merry Christmas, everyone.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org