[T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Dec 31 13:28:21 PST 2013

In a message dated 12/30/2013 11:54:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

>From looking at Service Without Guesswork, it looks like there is a
significant difference in the final drive ratios, but it's hard to
predict exactly what you'll find, because the ratios varied somewhat
by year. It might be possible for you to disassemble both and
exchange  the innards to get the correct ratio for your Type 3. The
Type 4 got  higher ratios, I assume because it had a bigger engine.

The Type 4 AT  also has 2 central mount points at the top, sort of
like "ears" at 10 and  2, from which the engine/tranny was suspended.
Those may be in the way if  you try to install it in a Type 3, or you
might be able to cut them  off.

There's got to be lots of Type 3 ATs out there in boneyards in the
southwest, but I realize you've been looking hard and coming up
empty.

Well, checking some of the info I got from Russ, says that there were 2
different sets of AT final drive gear ratios. A 411 (sedan) got the same
3.67:1 that the type 3 got. The 461 (wagon) got the 3.91:1 final drive ratio.
The 411 is marked ED, while the 461 is marked EC (how you tell the difference
 between the 2).
I think the "ears" will clear though. If not, you'll have to cut them off
like Jim suggested.
But, the type 4 uses larger CV joints than a type 3, so you'll have to
swap the CV drive plates on the trans for a set of T-3 drive plates, or swap
the drive axles and outer stub axles for t-4 parts.

I do agree with Jim, that you should be able to find a good type 3  trans
in your area. Are you looking for a 003 300 035 A (used from 8-1968  to
8-1971 (like your car originally had?)) or are you looking for a 003 300  035 H
(used from 8- 1971 on )?
I'd look into using a late model torque convertor IF you're really  worried
about "overheating" the trans. Look for part number 003 323 571 D, as  that
convertor was used in both t-3s and t-4s with a "trailer package". This  IS
the convertor that Jim recommends. It'll have a D stamped on 1 of the
torque convertor mounting lugs. It was available for ALL 003 AT transmissions
(t-3 & t-4) except those used in a bus. :O
I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction