[T3] Windshield Gasket....

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 17:53:23 PST 2013

Yesterday, in dry weather, I used Permatex Windshield Sealant on every imaginable gasket entry for water into my windshield.   Cleaned up sealant that got on paint with some mineral spirits on a rag.

Today, with rain all day, there's just as much wetness on napkins I've stuffed around top of dashboard as ever.

Question is....is the water just going through the (old) rubber gasket itself rather than gaps between metal body and the gasket?

This moisture is cause of more rust than I knew under dash (hidden behind gas tank and trunk "flooring" etc) and down to the floor.

Is there some Miracle Stuff to coat or absorb into the rubber gasket to correct this sponge effect....if that's the problem?  Or is the only way to replace the gasket?    (I've done several windshield replacements before, so that scarey job isn't too scarey...plus I have three or four spare windshields.)

Related story:  One January, freezing temps, there was a mosquito in my car on the inside windshield.   I swatted it with back of my hand...not all that hard...just a tap needed to dispatch a little mosquito...and the windshield cracked.   Had to do the replacement, of course.