[T3] Early vs Late Automatic

Adam Douglass one4house at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 06:37:33 PST 2013

Group,

I am driving this weekend to pick up a replacement automatic transmission for my squareback. I have a couple of questions that I wanted to run by the group.

I keep hearing of "early" vs "late" units. How do I identify one vs the other? What part numbers am I looking for? Where are the part numbers located?

I also hear that the automatic unit out of a Squareback is unique. What is the difference? Again, what am I looking for?

Any words of caution anyone has? I am pretty much stuck with this unit, but I want to know what I am getting. It can help on the price negotiation if I have more knowledge.

The person who has this transmission had it to build a trike that never happened. He knows zero history and has no idea what the unit came out of. Because of how hard they are to find, I hope it is in good shape. He said that it has been sitting for many years.

Thanks,

Adam