[T3] Type 3 racing footage

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 1 20:19:26 PST 2013

On 1 Feb 2013 at 19:09, timothy kuehn wrote:

> Came across some interesting old video from Germany's Nurburgring race track.
> It's a bunch of everyday cars - and a few sports models - taking on a tricky corner that comes at the end of a long fast downhill.
> Don't know if this is a 'folk race', or a rented track day, or just what people were allowed to do on a Saturday back in the 70's?
> Anyway, among the Fiats, Renaults, and many VW Type 1's, I count at least 2 of each T3 body style at various points through the video.
> I count zero helmets, and a similar number of paramedics.
>
> Be warned, some of the images are 'disturbing' - bad things happen to sheetmetal!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlF4sT0HWs

And don't miss part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmEcNV-z8A

Wow, what a mess of bad driving and bad judgment: no helmets (except
on motorcycles), no seatbelts (even in 1970!), passengers, even
passengers without helmets on motorcycles. Did you see the one guy
who got thrown halfway out the passenger window and slammed against
the pavement?

I think I saw notches, fastys, and squares, but the only Ghia was a
Type 14. I thought I saw a Corvair, but I think that was a BMW. There
were lots of BMWs, Porsche 911/912s and 914s, Mercedes, lots of
Opals, one Opal GT, lots I didn't recognize....

Pretty sad overall.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org