[T3] D-Jet /L-Jet

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 14 08:32:59 PST 2013

On 13 Feb 2013 at 23:01, Greg Merritt wrote:

> Le Feb 13, 2013 à 19:28, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> a écrit :
>
> > I don't know about the Volvos. Which ones? Do you have any
> > references?
>
> This caught my eye:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_164

Okay, cool. There WERE 6-cyl D-jet cars. Good, I learned something
today.

> http://www.164club.se/broschyr/32-71.pdf

Scroll down this brochure a little less than half way, and you'll see
a D-jet brain opened up. Note the finned heat sink on the left side.
I've only seen that on the 8-cyl Mercedes; it dissipate the heat from
the transistors and ballast resistors that drive the injectors. Our
Type 3s get away without that extra heat sink because we only have 2
sets of transistors and resistors and because our brains sit in the
intake cooling airstream.

Now look closely at the open Volvo brain: There are THREE sets of 4
wires leading from the PC board to whatever's in that heat sink. In
our brains you'll find TWO sets of 4 wires. That means that the 164E
D-jet has THREE trigger points.

If you scroll down about 80% thru this .pdf, there's a better photo
of a 164E brain with the 3x setup.

I've looked and looked, but haven't found a picture of such a trigger
point yet.

So far, it looks like Volvo made the D-jet 164E for 4 years, '72-5.
The first 2 years it used the same trigger points as the 144E, which
had 2 contacts, same as ours. But in '74 they switched to a different
Bosch part number. At this point, I'm guessing that they went to the
3x system, but I haven't seen any proof of that yet.

To add to my confusion, this brochure appears to be from 1971,
introducing the '72 model 164E. So how can it be showing a 3x brain
if the '72 uses the same trigger points as the 144E?

> http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139803

Yes, that's the 005 part # for the 144E and early 164E trigger
points. Later 164Es got an 011. (Our cars, being first in the D-jet
line, got 000.) Too bad he doesn't show a photo.

I'll head down to a shop I know one of these days and see if they
have either of the Volvo parts in stock.

If you're interested in what a 4x Mercedes set of trigger points
looks like, here's a set on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290851503582

Be glad we're not in THAT market! That's actually a pretty good price
for that Mercedes part!

BTW, I can reset our trigger points for MUCH less cost than a new
set, and I THINK I can reset the Mercedes and Volvo ones similarly,
although I've never actually had one of them in my hands.

I'll take my fixture with me when I go looking for Volvo trigger
points.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org