[T3] I think you're gonna like this picture!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 15 15:52:09 PST 2013

On 15 Feb 2013 at 13:02, Tony Rodriguez wrote:

> Is it a very involved process?

I charge $30 to do a complete set of 3, but only if you're also
sending a clock and a speedo to be rebuilt, so that's $30 on top of
$80. I'll only do complete sets, because that's the only way to be
sure the colors will match perfectly. The silver paint is a very fine
metallic. I think it's a pretty good match, but it's also harder to
do.

One thing I've started doing is getting several sets of bezels of the
same color (black or grey) and doing the blasting and painting at the
same time. I have a finished set of silver bezels on the shelf now.

Polishing the front plastic plates takes a fair amount of time, and
I'm still not completely satisfied with how they turn out. I really
can't get rid of all the scratches. (Note that this plastic is REALLY
soft. They scratch easily, so be CAREFUL if you go to wipe them off.
The dust that collects there tends to scratch the lens.)

I think I may have to increase what I charge, however, because this
tends to soak up several hours of my time. More than I was expecting.
This is a fairly new task for me, so I'll wait and see if I get
faster at it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org