[T3] I think you're gonna like this picture!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Feb 16 09:59:41 PST 2013

On 16 Feb 2013 at 10:51, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/16/2013 2:04:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> I should look into a method for doing the conversions. It would be
> nice if i could do this so that it used the car's 12 V battery
> instead of an AA cell.

> I've saw  where someone built a step down transformer device (for lack of a
> better way  to put it), for dropping from 12 to 1.5 volts. I used to have a
> link for it,  but it was in my old computer.

I could do that rather easily with some diodes and a resistor, but
I'd like to do it neatly, preferably in the original back case. I'm
sure it's possible, but I haven't spent any time looking at it.

> The AA battery isn't a bad way to go, as the clock keeps time, even with
> car's battery out. They're also fairly cheap, and can be had almost anywhere.
>  I've done several of them over the years, and it's pretty easy thing to
> do. My  T-34 got a conversion clock too.

Yes, there's some advantage to not using the car's battery, including
not running the main battery down over the winter.

How did you get the original hands off the old clock shaft?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org