[T3] Klockit Clock

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:44:41 PST 2013

>When you were done, were you able to set the hands from the front, as
>original, or do you have to reach up under the dash and do this from
>the back of the new movement?

I had a jeweler (Craig Gruening) at Krail Jewelers in Fond du Lac, WI
remove the original 12-volt clockworks from the instrument and install
a AA battery-operated clock.  That was back in the '70's.
I don't know what brand, long- or short-shaft clock he used.

I CAN still set the hour/minute hand from the front, with the center
knob, just as if it were a 1969 Squareback OEM clock .

When my car went into "the barn" on July 14th, 2001 after my stroke,
the clock battery was removed.  It stayed ("battery-less") that way
until Jim was doing some work on my failed ignition switch in
September 6, 2012 ... just after we got back from the 2012 Invasion.

Jim removed the clock instrument to make it easier to gain access
(slack) to the ignition wiring harness.

That's when Bev gave me a.AA Battery.  We inserted the battery into
the back of the clock and BINGO ... it started right up and kept
perfect time.

When we store the Square in the hanger for the winter, we remove the battery.
Jim and I talked about the (advisable) habit I have about removing a
clock battery during storage in Wisconsin winters.
Batteries tend to freeze & "leak".  And if they leak they make a real
mess of things: clockworks, wiring, carpet, etc.

I expect re-installing a fresh AA battery in May, 2013, the clock will
start, run and keep time. (Knock wood)

I will admit that I do miss that little "click" of the original clock,
when it winds the spring.  But it don't miss "guessing" what the
correct time really is, looking at the OE clock.

I admit to being a "purist", (whenever possible), when it comes to my Square.
Like Jim says "They're only original once.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)